Job Title: Technical Lead
Permanent/Full time: 35 hours per week, subject to six month probationary period
Working hours: 9am to 5pm – Monday to Friday (some flexibility available)
Reporting to: Digital Transformation Consultant
Based at: Horsham St Faith, Norfolk
To apply: Send your CV with salary expectations and a covering email to [email protected]
Closing Date: March 29th 2019
This is a senior level Software Developer role which includes the Leadership and Management of a Software Development team with a mix of employees including permanent, and contract roles, together with the “contract” management of a range of outsourced services.
- Lead the development, enhancement and lifetime maintenance of Company’s recognised Software Product line, and manage the continuous improvement process within the software product’s lifecycle.
- Using broad technical experience and proficiency in people management to lead, manage and develop the Software Developer line reports to ensure that the skills and capability of the collective team is able to deliver the current and planned future business needs. This includes undertaking regular appraisals for each employee in line with the Company Appraisal Policy and managing any capability issues which may arise during the course of their employment.
- Management of all aspects of outsourced services related to software development and the company’s IT services, most notably managing outsourced software development resources and ensuring they play their significant role in achieving regular delivery of software releases which match the business expectations.
- Leading on the implementation and continued use of an “Agile“ approach to Software development. Using this proven methodology is vital to the timely release of new projects and upgrades to existing software, whilst ensuring delivery of agreed targets and deadlines set by the business.
- Accountability for leading the work to transition the company to the cloud, including taking direct responsibility for selecting, building and supporting the right infrastructure - in terms of partners / security / scalability etc.
- Working collaboratively, lead and own the requirements clarified by the Digital Transformation Consultant and confidently design, agree and manage to conclusion, plans which deliver the solutions needed to match the defined requirements.
- Ensure all software products are adequately documented, from a technical view point, to recognised standards and ensure that they are at a level where new resources could confidently maintain the package.
- To spend at least 50-80% of time coding. (The level will depend on many factors, hence the range).
- To work collaboratively with the Digital Transformation Consultant to ensure the business has clear project plans for all planned development and to regularly report back to management on the progress of projects, highlighting any risks or issues which could affect the delivery against these plans. This would include proposals on options/action plans required to ensure individual tasks or projects return to status “Green” within an acceptable timescale.
- Accountability for Quality Assurance Testing, either using internal or external resources.
- Lead, manage and implement automated testing to improve the consistency of the quality of software releases to UAT (User Acceptance Testing).
- Utilise existing Software Development expertise to provide input on new software projects, from initial concept, design and documentation of Business Requirements.
- Develop and lead the implementation of the creation of coding standards and ensure they are adhered to via coding reviews.
- To research new technology advances or methodologies which have the potential to significantly improve the productivity of the Software Development team and report your recommendations to the board together with fully costed business case for adopting them.
- Research and recommend the most appropriate technology approaches for the Company in the medium and longer term. Additionally, develop proposals which cover how to migrate towards those and develop proposals to align these to current business plan deliverables.
Key Skills and Knowledge
- Proven proficiency in managing and leading a team of people in a Software development environment.
- Demonstrable expertise in modern / agile approaches to Business Applications Development.
- Understanding of software systems architecture and proven ability to adopt approaches to implementation of new requirements without compromise to code quality, usability and the ability to maintain the applications.
- Considerable understanding and ability to implement object orientated programming.
- Advanced level technical knowledge and a demonstrable ethos in personal development which ensures the technical approaches being used remain the most suitable, and if strategic changes need to be able to recommend approaches for the business owners to consider in the next significant releases.
- Have a “Continuous Improvement Mindset”. For example, encourage and lead the development team to have “A lesson learnt mentality” – looking when things go very well and wrong and agreeing changes in process to improve the productivity / efficiency of the development team.
- Proven experience in managing internal and external overseas development teams.
- Experience and current proficiency in the agreed list of technologies used or to meet future requirements of the business.
Background about COA:
For over 30 years Cambridge Occupational Analysts Ltd has worked with more than 3,000 schools in the UK and across the globe in over 50 countries to deliver a fully comprehensive range of careers and higher education programs including aptitude tests. The technical quality of the programs is paramount and they are continually developed and checked throughout the year.
Located in Horsham St Faith in the beautiful Norfolk countryside COA continue to deliver and support a wide variety of programs internationally from their base. Over time, as with most industries, increasing use has been made of technical solutions both for office work and also to deliver new and innovative products to customers.
More information can be found at http://www.coa.co.uk
COA is an equal opportunities employer